Work and Beyond
Being a postdoc means being in limbo more than just in your job. Some of us have families, others are still worried about how to meet people! We all have different issues that need resolving depending upon where we are at in life. We hope that some of these links will help you to find the resources that you need for your work life and beyond. Trouble with your supervisor or other folks on or off the job? We also have some links here to help you when your work life itself becomes problematic and is negatively affecting your personal and professional life.
Welcome to the UC Davis Working Community
New postdocs should attend the campus New Employee Orientation (NEO) Program. It is a full day program that focuses on conveying the importance of the UC Davis Mission, Principles of Community, and rich culture, as well as explaining our comprehensive benefits packages. Other program components include presentations by key campus personnel, and an on-line, web-based accompaniment to the orientation process. Refreshments are usually provided. Schedule information is available on the Staff Development & Professional Services web site.
Your Health and Personal Wellness
- Disability Resource Center
- Women's Resource Center at UC Davis
- Most postdocs are eligible to receive medical, dental, and vision benefits in accordance with APM-390. Postdoc benefits are offered through the Postdoctoral Scholar Benefit Plan, administered by Garnett-Powers and Associates.
- The UC Davis Medical Center (located in Sacramento)
- The Davis Community Clinic
- The campus newpaper, the Aggie, provides coupons for local dentists and doctors.
- Mental Health: Staff Development's Work Life and Wellness Site
- Also check out Human Resources, they have several other kinds of services available (including Sexual Harassment, Workplace Violence, Mediation Services, and other information).
- There is also a procedure on how to file grievances, governed by APM-390.
Family and Personal Life Related Sites
Culturally Related Sites
- Cross Cultural Center at UC Davis
- Davis International House (note: there is information on foreign visas on the Information for International Postdocs page)